July 5, 2019 at 8:18 pm #137893BrianKeymaster
Hi Active Melody Community!
Let’s all get creative with this month’s site member challenge. I want to hear more of YOUR creations 🙂
So here’s how it works:
1) For this month’s challenge, choose ANY of the “No Accompaniment” lessons from the “No Accompaniment (Just Guitar)” category.
2) You can play it exactly the way that I played it, or you can add your own embellishments and improvise if you want.
3) Let’s all comment (as always) on each others work and learn from each other. 🙂
**If you need assistance with how to record yourself and post to the forum see this post and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out.**
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing your chosen lesson anytime between Friday, August 2 through Sunday, August 4, 10:00 pm CST. Please do not submit earlier. I think it is fun to see everyone’s posts at once.
2. Submit individually in the “Active Melody Member Challenge Response Submissions” forum. Title your posts “July 2019 Challenge Response – [Your AM Screen Name]”
3. If you submit more than one video or audio link for your challenge submission, please indicate in your challenge post which link you want to be added to the consolidated post. I will pick my favorite if one is not indicated. Only one video or audio link per member will be posted in the consolidated post. This saves me time and allows me to see more of my family on challenge submission weekends.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by these challenges!!! Use these challenges to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Active Melody members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about…you learning guitar and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
PREMIUM MEMBERS: DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE ACTIVE MELODY T-SHIRT CHALLENGE:
Premium members can earn a free AM T-Shirt as indicated here:
I look forward to seeing everyone’s posts! 🙂
July 5, 2019 at 11:26 pm #137896JoLaParticipant
Awesome! Thank you, Brian 🙂
July 6, 2019 at 6:31 am #137904brian-belseyParticipant
Great challenge topic!
July 6, 2019 at 7:09 pm #137960Mike AParticipant
AWE Common Now! how Awesome is this Brian?..I joined Active Melody one year ago, because of your Blues version of Amazing Grace.on youtube.at the time i had only been playing guitar around 2 years and it was a little over my head(slow learner)..i decided to do last months challenge because i liked the jam and figured i would finally learn a whole song..(LOVED the challenge!) and after i did the june challenge! i felt lost waiting for the next challenge for some direction..then i thought: maybe i could put up a suggestion on the forum , and ask. could we do Amazing Grace? And then you go and post July Challenge(No Accompaniment just Guitar)..if you look at the youtube post Amazing Grace I am the 3rd comment down 1 year ago..i am speechless ..IT JUST DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!!! so i guess you know what my lesson choice is going to be?
July 10, 2019 at 11:48 am #138137sunburstParticipant
Fantastic ! I t wasn’t hard figuring out which one I will choose 314 and try extending it with the late Greg lake
can’t sing just try some getting addition ideas using that tune too for ideas from a small extension I’ll use my own improvisation classical fingerstyle kind of lesson is a treat here ..I really like the embellishments you composed in 314 simply outstanding!
July 24, 2019 at 1:33 pm #138934RIFF DIGGERParticipant
Just surfed over to the forum topic after a few months of intense lesson study, crash and burn- trial and error but loving it intensely as I progress. Great to read these challenges and how you come up with great, encouraging themes. Thx. Will be at the forums more often. This is great-all the best to you, Brian.
August 2, 2019 at 3:38 pm #139542Hide (ひで）Participant
Hello, I’ve been in Japan for the last three weeks. So I recorded this quickly before I left the U.S. I am going back there today! This is a beautiful composition by Brian. Brian, if you are reading this, could you perhaps do a vide on how you come up with your composition ideas. Do you get that from playing keyboard? From memories of tunes that are in your head? I am very curious. This would help us learn how to improvise as well!
August 3, 2019 at 7:41 pm #139892Ed ZakParticipant
Slide, bend and hammer, Baby!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.