Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Another song of mine with guitar and vocals

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-12-01

PM

I posted a video recently of a song I wrote based on the work I'm doing on my guitar playing, thanks partly to some of the great videos on this site. Here's another one, this time separating guitar and vocals for clarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_lSuuM5Cw

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1364

Joined 2012-10-16

PM

Hey Colin, the guitar playing is very nice. The vocals seem to drift in an out. Not sure how you'd correct. I'd probably upped the volume on the mic while recording. The tone sounds fine, enough bass and treble that comes across balanced and pleasing.      

Signature

Pete
Active Melody.com
Administrator/forum

I’m a Bob Lefsetz junkie
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 903

Joined 2012-01-20

PM

Curious what you've done for the drums and think I hear a bass in there too. I like the tempo of this, vocals just sound over driven is all. What mike is that and how do you have it going into your recording program. If you're going into a mixer then to your daw try panning hard right on vocals track and hard left on guitar and your backing. To me the mike does not need more volume, it's muffled. Let me know what your using and maybe I can help clean it up, I'm new to all this but be glad to help if I can, I really like the song.
Terry      

Signature

Terry

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-12-01

PM

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate the advice.

I'm using a Lewitt dynamic mic and I had the option of putting reverb on the vocals but didn't in the end because I felt the sound was muffled too. I used three different channels (supposedly) but the vocals and guitar were coming from one speaker. I have limited options since it's a fairly basic PA (Yamaha stagepas 300).

I also think the acoustics in the room aren't helping. I might do another song in a smaller space to get a more compact sound. In saying that, I'm no expert on acoustics.

And if you like the song, maybe you can try a version yourself - it would be interesting to see what you'd with it.

Colin      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 903

Joined 2012-01-20

PM

Are you using reaper or audacity? Or another program to record with. I wouldn't mind messing around with it, but I think if we can get your audio worked out that would be awesome. I'm still not sure how your recording, so I'll ask a question, how are you getting the audio from the guitar and the mike to the computer? I mean I know how I do it, 6stringer (Pete) does it different, Butch does it different and I think blueshawk also does it different. After you describe your complete setup then we'll talk about maybe me trying it, but maybe would be cool to get you're audio straightened out and maybe we could do a collaboration.      

Signature

Terry